If you’re any sort of LUSH fan, you’re going to want to read this.
Introducing Oh Deer Sugar, a non-edible bakery that specialises in handcrafting completely vegan bath and body goods that look and smell like your favourite foods. They are an incredibly ethically minded store that sources high quality ingredients without hurting the environment, and NONE of their ingredients are tested on animals. It’s a relatively small company run by two (quite impressive) women who hand-make these goodies right here in Adelaide! They run both a physical store in the City, and an online store which you can find here.
Innoxa is one of my favourite Australian affordable and cruelty-free cosmetic brands, and I totally feel like they aren’t spoken about enough. I fell in love with them back when I tried their 5-in-1 BB cream foundation, honestly that stuff is amazing. So I was absolutely over the moon to receive a few of their new releases, including their new VoluLip volume lip crayons which includes 6 shades that are perfect for Spring and Summer.
A few weeks ago I opened my emails to find an invitation that excited me to the ends of the Earth! The LUSH Rundle Mall store was reopening and was set to be the BIGGEST LUSH store in Australia. Right here in little Adelaide! Promote SA worked with LUSH to put on the media event. We were chosen to be the first people to see it, a night before it’s official opening day. I can’t wait for everyone to see it!
Recently, Bloggers United AU turned 1! To celebrate, LUSH hosted intimate parties all around the country. I was blessed, because I got an invite! I attended the South Australian event at the LUSH Marion Store and walked away with my first ever LUSH haul and boy was it big!
Hey guys, I’m back!! If you’ve been following me you would know that I’ve pretty much disappeared off the face of the Earth for the last 5 weeks, but I promise you I am back and there are some good reasons why I’ve been away.
Well wasn’t I super lucky to be given the chance to trial the NEW VS Sassoon Goddess Ultimate Steam Straightener by none other than the beautiful people at Beauty Heaven! I submitted a video review to BH about this product and thought it was worth a dedicated blog post.
I must say this unique product introducing steam as a way to straighten hair intrigued me to no end! I was super excited by this innovation and couldn’t wait to try it. VS Sassoon claim that the steam is used to help open up the hair cuticle to provide you with a more effective straightening process and glossier hair. But it just doesn’t use steam to help straighten your hair, it also uses the regular heat plates so that you get the best results with these two methods of straightening hair. My hair is long and frizzy, so with VS Sassoon’s promise of unbeatable shine, sleek and manageability I knew I was in for a treat – I had high expectations.
The straightener itself appears true to VS Sassoon’s standards – a deep purple case with gorgeous sparkles through it. It comes with a super handy heat protective mat and drawstring storage bag. The long swivel cord is another plus! However, because this straightener accommodates for steam and multiple functions, it’s is a lot heavier and bulkier than my usual straightener so I probably wouldn’t take it travelling with me. The extra wide plates make this straightener a thick-haired girl’s dream! A down-side to this is however, you can’t use this particular straightener for curling your hair.
With this straightener, you have the option of using just the heat plates, or you can opt in for the steam function as well. I love that the product gives you this versatility that other straighteners do not offer. The tongs also have a lock function to keep the straightener in place throughout storage or travelling to prevent damage. I love straighteners with a lock feature! The straightener also has 4 different heat settings from 170 degrees to 230 degrees, which is super important when catering for people with different hair types as everyone’s hair has different needs. This extends from the regular straightener which usually only includes 3 heat settings. I chose the 170 degrees setting because my hair long and frizzy, but still fine. I decided to opt for the light steam setting as well. I felt like these would be the best settings for my hair, especially when my ends are much drier than my roots or mid-lengths.
To use the steam, you have to remove a water reservoir in the casing and add water. This process can be a little tricky. I feel like VS Sassoon should have included a little funnel-like product to help fill the reservoir. Once you turn on the straightener, you can choose 3 steam options: no steam, light steam or high steam. You do have to wait 2 minutes for the steam function to kick in though, so it does take longer than your average hair straightener to prepare for straightening, well in my case anyway.
I do have to say, when using the steam my hair straightened fairly quickly, and the steam gave a super glossy sheen to my hair. I loved it, sleek and shiny! There are some negative though, sometimes the steam would leave big drops of hot water on my hair, instead of generating steam it generated hot water. Another issue was, my hair caught in between the plates a fair bit and caused my hair to sometimes break off. Thicker sections of hair was needed to prevent this but then it was harder and longer to straighten those sections.
My fine hair is a very ‘slippery’ type of hair and generally heat-styled hair does not last long in my world. But, the great thing about this straightener was that even after 2 days my hair was still pretty much straight and shiny. I’m not sure if that’s because of the steam, or the new heat protectant I was using but either way I was pleased.
Overall, the style of my hair was the best thing I loved about the straightener. I had less flyaways, less frizz and it lasted a good amount of time.
Many thanks to ProcrastiCaitlan for nominating me for a Liebster award. I’m super thrilled for my little blog to have a little recognition 🙂
Background to the award
The Liebster Award has been developed by bloggers, for bloggers! The origin of the name is German and can have several meanings: sweetheart, darling, beloved or boyfriend (?).
Legend has it that Liebster award was created to recognize and/or discover new bloggers. I think it has a good place in the blogosphere for facilitating the networking and cyber relationships between bloggers. It’s much like a chain letter. I think it’s a great way for exposure, and for your readers to learn a little more about yourself.
The simple rules to follow are:
1. Thank the blogger who presented the Liebster Award to you on your blog by and link back to their blog
2. Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter
3. Write 11 facts about yourself for your readers
4. Nominate 11 bloggers who you feel deserve this award. Let them know you have nominated them.
5. Ask your nominees 11 questions that you’ve come up with.
Here are my answers to ProcrastiCaitlan’s questions:
1. Do you think you could survive in a Zombie apocalypse? Without a doubt, honestly, very seriously and in reality – NO. I have ZERO survival skills.
2. If you could have any super power, what would it be? I would love it if I could make any given day have twice the amount of time – then I might be able to get all the stuff done that I need to get done, while also making sure I spend enough time with the people I love.
3. When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up? Originally, when I was really young I said a teacher or lawyer. Mum wanted me to be a journalist. So I became a Forensic Scientist.
4. Would you rather breathe underwater or be able to fly? Definitely fly – so I can be closer to my little feather babies who have passed over the rainbow bridge ☹
5. Would you rather have a ‘rewind’ button in life or a ‘pause’ button? Pause button – I don’t believe in wishing you did things differently. Everything happened for a reason, so I accept that and don’t feel the need to change anything in the past. And I’d love to pause because I’d really love the world to stop spinning sometimes so I can do all the things I need to.
6. A night in prison or a night in a haunted house? Prison – I am very susceptible to scary movies and it plays with my head. I couldn’t imagine anything worse than being stuck in a haunted house for a night.
7. What is the first thing you reach for when you sit down to do your makeup? Moisturiser! Get that hydration into ya!
8. What made you want to start a blog? I felt like I had all these tips, opinions and experiences that I really wanted to share. Also, I am always looking to make new friends and knew this would be another great way to do so. It’s also a really good escape from my nerd life. A lot of the people I am surrounded by don’t care too much for beauty and so it’s hard to to talk about all the things I love about hair and makeup. The blog let’s me do so!
9. Special talent/party trick? None really, but I can do that one eyebrow lift/eyebrow dance. Not very impressive.
10. Talk to animals or speak every known language? Animals – everyone can learn to speak another language and there are tonnes of ways to communicate with humans. But no one has ever had the luxury of being able to have a conversation with an animal. I’d love to be able to do that. I’d love to ask them what they think of us as humans, and the world in general.
11. Would you rather have no internet for a month? or no phone? No phone – if there was no internet I’d probably be really bad at researching, and it’s really important for my job. And I wouldn’t be able to blog for a month. Waaaaaaaaa!
11 Facts About Me
1. By the age of 10 I had already been to 7 different primary schools – my parents moved around a lot.
2. Ever since I was about 14 I wanted to be a Forensic Scientist and I am living my dream!
3. I have been with only one man in my life and many thanks to God, I’m still with him.
4. In Year 11, I got a scholarship to be sent to Japan for 3 weeks, including travelling. A week was spent living with a host family – it was the best experience of my high school life.
5. I absolutely cannot read Harry Potter without crying – I have a very strong emotional connection to the series.
6. I wanted to have babies by the age of 25 – now that I am 24, I can definitely NOT see that happening.
7. I have never met the majority of my extended family, even my Grandfather or Uncles – they are scattered across Europe.
8. My conception was a mistake – Haha!
9. In high school I was a State finalist in relay sprinting, and a Regional competitor in endurance running
10. I have been told I am too forgiving
11. I went through a 10 year battle with acne
1. How would you describe your wardrobe?
2. You can only have one of the following things, which would you choose? Trust or love?
3. What is your greatest achievement?
4. Are you a Winter or Summer person?
5. What scares you the most and why?
6. Tell me about someone you really admire
7. What was the last book you read?
8. Do you believe in the paranormal?
9. Are you a sweet tooth or savoury tooth?
10. If you were to go to the movies alone, what would be your perfect movie to watch?
11. If you could trade lives with someone for a day, who would it be?
Thanks again for the nomination ProcrastiCaitlan, this post was a bit of fun to write 🙂 I hope that you all learnt a bit more about me, and have come across some new blogs to follow!
In between my posts you can catch up with me on Instagram: